Melbourne, FL asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Kentucky

Q: Can the State of Kentucky put a lien on my deceased mother's property for unpaid medical bills?

My mother recently passed while still owing on her property in Madison County, KY. The State of KY was her guardian prior to death and she died with no will. I'm her only living relative and I went to probate court and was granted Petition/Order to Dispense With Administration, and am now trying to decide what to do with the property but I'm concerned about whether the State of KY can put a lien on the property for unpaid medical bills - she was in hospitals for several months prior to passing away. It's not a super valuable piece of property but I would like to get some compensation from it if possible. I can't afford any lengthy legal problems as I do not live in Kentucky, making dealing with any issues more complicated and expensive. I could pay off the property and then hold on to it for long term gain but only if there are no encumbrances like liens or other legal issues that may arise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You will have to open probate to be able to make any transfers of the real property or the vehicles. A disprr we NDR eith administration will not get that done for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.