Philadelphia, MS asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Mississippi

Q: Does child support still stand in Mississippi if parental rights were terminated in court and no visitation was granted

Maternal Grandmother has custody.

1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Visitation and child support are separate issues. The lack of visitation does not mean no child support is owed. Conversely, withholding of visitation does not relieve the parent of the obligation to pay support. If the parental rights of the parent are terminated by court order, the obligation to pay child support also stops at the time the Order is entered. However, if an arrearage in the payment of child support accrued during the time that the obligation to pay existed, that amount is still owed to the custodian as directed in the previous court order after the termination of parental rights.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.