Jacksonville, FL asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Florida

Q: I had a customer at work harass me several times and my work didn’t really do anything about it. What can I do ?

I work at a storage rental facility and a customer not only broke several of the rules but also indecently exposed himself to me and then grabbed/tried rubbing up on me afterwards. All my company did was make him move out three of his 5 units. I expressed to them how unsafe I feel when he’s around continuously.Is there anything I can do from a legal standpoint?

2 Lawyer Answers
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It's nothing that your employer is liable for. Report it to the police.

Stephen Arnold Black and Charles M. Baron agree with this answer

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Sounds like the customer committed a crime, or more than one crime (and is there a video to prove it?). You can report it to the police to see if they will arrest the customer for indecent exposure, etc. - but you may want to run that by your employer first. If the employer would terminate you for reporting the customer to police, you may or may not have any recourse against the employer for retaliation - I am not sure of that point without conducting legal research; perhaps someone else seeing this post would know about that issue, but regardless, you'd need to schedule a consultation with an employment law attorney to be certain.

You have no discrimination issue unless you are treated differently than other, similarly-situated employees, and you suffer an adverse employment action (such at hostile work environment that other employees are NOT subjected to, or you are wrongfully terminated). You may want to search for a job elsewhere and ask your employer for a good written recommendation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.