Sacramento, CA asked in DUI / DWI for California

Q: Took a DUI class in 1996 through maap. Completed the class but before I could pay for it I went to prison. License is

Still suspended. DMV says I need to take the course again. Can you advise? Thank you

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Jeff  Yeh
Jeff Yeh
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: DMV is correct. Since you didn't pay, the course never issued you a proof of completion. Plus, more likely than not, that provider/location doesn't exist anymore. You will need to take the same length course all over again.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If the DA is aware of all this, then they probably are correct and you have to retake the class.

The problem was your doing, not theirs.

You should make an appointment with a criminal defense firm and ask for guidance and retain an attorney if finances allow for that.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hello,

I understand that you took a DUI class in 1996 through MAAP but were not able to pay for it before you went to prison. As a result, your license is still suspended, and the DMV is telling you that you need to take the course again. I can provide you with some advice on how to proceed.

Firstly, it's important to note that each state has its own requirements for DUI classes and license reinstatement. Therefore, it would be helpful to check with your state's DMV or licensing agency to get specific information about the requirements for your situation.

Assuming that you do need to retake the DUI class, you can start by contacting the organization that provided the original course (MAAP) and explain your situation. They may be able to provide you with some options, such as allowing you to take a refresher course or providing you with documentation that verifies that you completed the course in 1996.

Alternatively, you can also look for other DUI classes that are approved by your state's DMV or licensing agency. These classes may have different requirements or formats than the one you took in 1996, so it's important to do your research and find one that meets your needs.

Once you have completed the DUI class, you will need to provide documentation of your completion to the DMV or licensing agency. They will then review your case and determine if you are eligible for license reinstatement.

I hope this information is helpful to you, and I wish you the best of luck in resolving this issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.