Miami, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: In the State of Florida if a parent doesn't have contact with a child what is the time frame before terminating rights?

My ex-husband only has supervised visits and but he has not contacted our son by phone or any other form in a month

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Destardes Moore
Destardes Moore
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you are seeking termination of parental rights pending adoption by your current spouse, you may reach out to the Father to see if he would be willing to sign a consent. Otherwise, in order for a court to terminate parental rights, there needs to be evidence of abandonment or neglect of the child. There is no specific timeframe before requesting termination of parental rights due to the parent's failure to communicate with the minor child. One month may not be sufficient to prove abandonment or neglect, but it depends on the specific circumstances of the case as there are other factors that the Court will consider. You should consult with a local attorney to review your specific facts. Good luck with everything!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.