Jacksonville, FL asked in Civil Litigation for Virginia

Q: How do I obtain payment for a default judgement if the company has changed its name or relocated?

There was a default judgement enter in 2013. The defendant did not pay. After doing some research I found that the business name does not exist. When I google the name another business name comes up but in a different location. How do I find out if the business changed it's name and relocated?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Check the business entity records of the state where it was formed. This would most

likely be the same public office from whom you obtained the registered agent and registered office information back when you got the original default judgment. Many of these records are available online for a nominal fee.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.