Brandon, SD asked in Adoption and Family Law for South Dakota

Q: Which form do I need to fill out to petition for adoption for an adult adoption?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Heath Baker
Heath Baker
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA

A: Check your county's court website and see if they have any local forms that are required or acceptable. In Riverside County, the court has a local form that provides for all of the needed information. (You could always go to their website and pull the local form for your pleading paper petition, if needed.)

In addition to the petition, you will need the consent of the spouse of the person being adopted and of the person doing the adoption.

If you provide the Court with the petition, the agreement, the order, and the consents, an adult adoption is usually very easy and handled in one hearing.

Best of Luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.