Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Family Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
South Dakota Family Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for South Dakota on
Q: Can you move to south Dakota for a weekend to file for divorce there?

Current state NC, husband in agreement

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 11, 2023

While it's possible to establish residency in South Dakota relatively quickly, moving there for a weekend solely for the purpose of filing for divorce may not be straightforward or advisable in all cases. The specific requirements for residency to file for divorce can vary from state to state,... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for South Dakota on
Q: Which form do I need to fill out to petition for adoption for an adult adoption?
Heath Baker
Heath Baker
answered on Apr 20, 2023

Check your county's court website and see if they have any local forms that are required or acceptable. In Riverside County, the court has a local form that provides for all of the needed information. (You could always go to their website and pull the local form for your pleading paper... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Estate Planning and Probate for South Dakota on
Q: Do I need a lawyer to change the executor on my will?
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Apr 2, 2023

A will is a relatively simple legal instrument that a reasonably intelligent person ought to be able to prepare on their own without a problem.

Nevertheless, we frequently see situations where a reasonably intelligent person has botched one. I just handled a probate for a man who botched...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Probate for South Dakota on
Q: I lived with my boyfriend for 10 years. He died in July. Can his father take all his belongings from me?
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Nov 9, 2021

Unless your boyfriend had a will leaving his estate to you, it goes to his next of kin. This is why it is SO important for a single person to have an estate plan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.