Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Can I get bond reduced or ankle monitor requirement lifted to post bail

Boyfriend arrested a couple weeks ago on domestic violence charge against me. I told the arresting officer there was no violence and I was not pressing charges but the arrested him and gave him the max bond amount and added a required ankle monitor as a condition which is another $500. Can I do anything to get him out of jail ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: The DA's office is always weary about the Domestic Violence victim "dropping charges."

The best you can do is to contact your boyfriend's attorney and let him know you want to help.

The lawyer can ask for a Bond hearing and present you as a witness.

If the lawyer will not let you help, then you can write to the Judge on the case or call the DA's office and let them know you wish to drop the charges. It doesn't always work because many victims help out or try to drop charges, and then get beaten a second time by the defendant.

Please be sure you want to help.

I hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.