North Bergen, NJ asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: Is there any possibility I can get my step parents custody revoked

I’m 17 and adopted I’ve been living with these people for about 6 year I wouldn’t even say living they won’t let me stay with them any more they put me in other locations to stay with people even to another state at one point I’ve never liked these people from the start they lie To people about me to make them self look good they are abusive mentally and physically, they threaten to stab me with knives and fork several times they would lock me in a room for many hours at a time and keep me isolated for no reason I want to just leave me alone I need to get away they just recently tried to steal money from me and creat more lies about me please help me

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: A stepparent (spouse of a parent) is not the same as an adoptive parent. If you were adopted in a Florida court, you would legally be their child, and subject to their control until you turn 18. You might want to see about getting emancipated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.