Rocky River, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: We live in an apartment complex. Our hot water has not been working since a week before Easter can we sue

The water hot water has been out since a week before Easter. They keep giving us the runaround. Our kids have not been able to take a bath we have a newborn we can’t warm up her bottles except in the microwave. We really need hot water. We’re spending money going to a hotel so the kids can shower. This is not Wright can we sue

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Martin Broyles
Bruce Martin Broyles
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Lancaster, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Ohio Revised Code Section 5321.07 states that you should give written notice to your landlord at the place you normally pay rent. Given the severity of the issue you should ask that the matter be resolved in 7 to 10 days. If the landlord refuses to fix the condition, and you are current with your rent you can place your rent in an escrow account in the local municipal court, you can apply to the Court for an order instructing the Landlord to correct the issue, or you can terminate the rental agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.