Portland, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: My bf & I moved in dolx approx 9 yrs ago. Now that bf moved out. They tx me to give key n empty by5/1 Why do I need move

BF bosses wife's family owns these. We never have had a rental agreement. Why do my Grandson n I need to move? Why in 4 days? There's no way possible for me to get to stay? I didn't give my notice. They try n say they rented to the Bf. But we both have lived here from day one without a rental lease. As well as the neighbors. There was DV involved and I get along with all of my neighbors n keep the place up n have alot of money invested n hard labor taking pride in my yard and inside making it a nice home. Never have I Disrespected anyone here. My Grandson is stable and catches the school bus rt here. Why should I have to uproot him. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: First, you have indeed had a rental agreement but it may have only been verbal, which makes it difficult for either side to prove the exact terms. If BF moved out voluntarily, his exit likely terminated the tenancy for both of you. If, however, he left due to domestic violence, you may be entitled to continue living there. Regardless, they can't remove you without going to court and obtaining a court order and that will likely take a couple of weeks at a minimum. You may want to simply review everything in detail with a local landlord-tenant attorney to determine your exact rights. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.