Bullhead City, AZ asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Arizona

Q: If I am seeking Temporary custody for my grandchild in HI, I live in AZ, both parents give permission, is court needed?

Can I just get a notary form to have temporary custody of my grandchild living in another state if both parents agree?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Technically, that should probably be asked of an attorney in Hawaii because, likely, Hawaii is the only state that can determine custody of your grandchild.

I will say, in Arizona, a Power of Attorney assigning rights to you for up to six months is valid. But even with its validity, you may run into difficulties enrolling the child in school or taking the child to the doctor simply because it's unusual.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.