Columbia, MO asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Missouri

Q: The situation: Bill is going to be declared dead in August. Bill had a child, Mark who passed away in 2019. Mark had a

Son, Zach who is still alive. Bill died in California, we live in missouri.

Bills siblings got a letter from California Inheritance Group claiming Bill had unclaimed assets and they are going to divide it between his siblings. I don’t believe that is correct I believe it should be all going to Zach but we aren’t sure what our next steps should be.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: First, you do not need to go through California Inheritance Group to claim these funds. You can find it here and make a claim yourself:

Under the laws of California, if a person dies unmarried with living descendants and no will, the descendants inherit, not the decedent's siblings. Get the claim forms and fill them out and that is the way it will probably turn out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.