Wallace, SC asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for South Carolina

Q: How can they be made to leave!? My mom passed away almost 1 year ago and left and 2 sisters and 1 the house. The oldest

Had power of attorney and I'm assuming she is dealing with probate. She doesn't talk to me and isn't authoritative with the situation. The other sister lives in the house with 7 other adults she now has there. No power, no water. They have the carport covered completely and the yards are just nasty. It looks like a drug house. Is there a way they can all be made to leave? Is it illegal to live in a house with no power or water for months?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: All tenants in common have the right to occupy their property, utilities or not. You may wish to hire an attorney to file for a Sale For Partition.

Peter J. Weinman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.