Louisville, KY asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Kentucky

Q: What happens if my wife brings me home before the judge has ruled on a DVO amendment? Can there be a search warrant?

Wife filed a DVO four months ago.

And decided to tell me she wants me back home and doesn’t want to divorce. We have a newborn together as well. She brought me home recently in the hopes it would be amended.

Turns out judge said no.

Can there ever be a random search for me?

Follow up court date to determine an actual amended return is in three weeks.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You are violating the DVO by returning home before it is amended. If anyone reports it or if the police are called and find you there, you will likely be arrested and charged with violating the dvo. You should go somewhere else to stay, hire a lawyer to get the dvo amended, and not have any contact with her until amended.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.