Honolulu, HI asked in Real Estate Law for Hawaii

Q: I have lived on land in Hawaii for 26 years without a hitch. How do I prove it? To whom shall I file my proof?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: File a lawsuit to quiet title by adverse possession against the person with legal title based on what is recorded and against anyone else claiming an interest or lien to the property.

Give your attorney documents, photographs, and the names of witnesses that can show you have in fact been openly living on such property for 26 years. These can be contracts for construction work, utility bills, repair receipts, etc. You will neighbors and friends who have visited you in your home. You may be able to get records from your postal service or Amazon etc showing deliveries to you at that particular address.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.