Lillington, NC asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Louisiana

Q: My brother passed away earlier this year. He had property that would have gone to his unmarried son.

The son never did succession and has now passed. Who would the property belong to? Would succession have to be done on my nephew if he didn’t have any possessions?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: It is hightly recommended that you consult a succession lawyer in your are to discuss the specifics of this situation, including whether the best way to proceed in this matter. Also, in reading your post, it is not clear if there is a will for either deceased person or you are relying upon the succession laws of Louisiana. Depending on the solvency of the estate sometimes determines whether or not a succession should be open and/or completed so you really need to consult with a qualified attorney. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.