Miami, FL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: My soon to be ex husband refuses to call out of work when the kids are sick. I’m a teacher and can’t call out every time

He is only seeking every other weekend. Which leaves me all the school days. I cannot call out every time out 4 and 6 year old are sick. Can an arrangement be put into our custody agreement to where we need to alternate sick days if the kids are sick? Even if it’s during the week?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Unfortunately, the way it usually works is if it is your timesharing day then you are responsible for child care. If dad has a school day and they are sick then he is responsible, same for you. You can try to address this issue financially (through child support or otherwise) so that you can afford child care if they are sick and you can still go to work. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.