Jonesboro, AR asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Arkansas

Q: Deceased dad's & his girlfriend's names are on a deed to property they bought together 3 years before he passed. No will

Dad passed in 2015. Girlfriend has contacted me this week wanting me to sign a quitclaim deed so she can sell this property. Do I have any rights to my Dad's portion of this property? Would the deed say heirs on it.? Right now the county tax accessors has it listed with her name- and his hame with heirs. Is that because girlfriend presented a death certificate or did my dad always mean for me to have his interest if he passed? I just want to know what I'm signing away. I am over 18 yrs old.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Hire a competent AR attorney to at least read the Deed. It is very possible that you own an one/half undivided interest as a tenant in common. But someone needs to determine the title. If you are one of the two owners, then agree to the sale and do not sign a Deed until you are paid half the proceeds. Otherwise file a Partition Suit.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.