Hawley, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Can I file a lawsuit against someone who stole property from my house? The DA is dragging their feet

I cannot get the DA nor the DA's investigator to answer any calls or emails. The officer involved is frustrated as well. This has been going on for over six months and no charges have been brought

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Patrick Clancy
Daniel Patrick Clancy pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The answer is "yes", but I would speak to the prosecutor handling your case before filing your civil suit.

A civil lawsuit running parallel to a criminal prosecution can be used by the defense in the criminal case to show the complainant's motive. In other words, if a Judge or Jury see the complainant as an individual seeking to gain financially from the event that is the subject of both the criminal case, and the civil case, that could be viewed unfavorably, and create a credibility issue.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.