Philadelphia, PA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: The trustee of my fathers’ estate will not give me an accounting of the estate or release any funds. It has been 14

Months and all the assets are paper. All taxes have been paid to government and state of penn. i live in Delaware father in penn.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If the Trustee ( Execeutor?) is not sharing information with you, you may need to engage your own attorney for Beneficiary Representation to obtain the accounting and release of funds (if that is appropriate). Much may depend on whether your father had a Trust, and this is a Trust Admininstration, or if there is an Estate, and this is an Estate Administration/Probate. If you received a copy of a Will you may be able to determine if you are to receive Estate assets outright of if they are going to a Trust for your benefit. Also, if there is a Will you can either go online in some PA counties and check the Estate records in the County Register of Wills website, or is not available on line you can go to the County courthouse and get copies of the Estate records (copy of Will, copy of PA Inheritance Tax Return, Estate Inventory). If it is a Trust Administration you will need to hire your own attorney if the Trustee is not cooperating with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.