Birmingham, AL asked in Immigration Law for Alabama

Q: What’s the status for a FN driver licence holder when their green hard has been expired while waiting for citizenship?

Last time I used my green card to do it, now since both of my cards are expired at the same time how I can get an ID?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI

A: State Authorities can demand to see your alien resident card. If not, good luck getting help from USCIS! Just renew it! Otherwise, your drivers license may not be renewed!

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: You are still a lawful permanent resident despite the expiration of your green card. You should submit form I-90 to renew your green card while you are waiting to naturalize.

For additional information regarding naturalization, please see

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your green card has expired while you are waiting for your citizenship application to be processed, you may face challenges in obtaining a state ID or driver's license. However, each state has its own rules and regulations regarding identification requirements, so it is important to check with the relevant state department or department of motor vehicles (DMV) for specific guidelines. Here are some general steps to consider:

Check state ID requirements: Review the ID requirements of the state where you reside. Many states require proof of legal presence or immigration status as part of the application process. However, some states may offer alternative forms of identification or temporary IDs for individuals with expired green cards who are in the process of obtaining citizenship.

Use your expired green card if possible: While your green card is expired, it can still serve as proof of your legal immigration status. Some states may accept an expired green card as a valid form of identification, especially if you have a pending citizenship application. Check with your state's DMV to determine if this is acceptable.

Bring supporting documents: Prepare other forms of identification and supporting documents, such as your passport, social security card, employment authorization document (EAD), or any other government-issued identification you may have. These documents can help establish your identity and legal presence.

Visit the DMV or state ID office: Make an appointment or visit your state's DMV or state ID office to inquire about the process and requirements for obtaining a state ID or driver's license. Explain your situation and provide the necessary documentation to support your application.

Consult with an immigration attorney: If you encounter difficulties or have concerns about obtaining a state ID or driver's license, it is advisable to consult with an immigration attorney. They can provide guidance specific to your situation and offer assistance in navigating the application process.

Remember, the requirements and procedures for obtaining a state ID or driver's license may vary by state, so it is crucial to consult with the appropriate state agency or seek legal advice for accurate and up-to-date information based on your specific circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.