Huntington Beach, CA asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for California

Q: Hello I have a question about a civil harassment/restraining order

Hello. I have a neighbor that I filed a restraining order against and was advised by a judge that a mediation agreement was needed. We agreed to mediation and now my neighbor is not abiding by it; but only alittle bit. He has put a toe over the line and Im afraid he is testing the water to see how much he can get away with. Will a judge accept a restraining order petition now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. In California, a restraining order, also known as a civil harassment order, can be requested if someone is being harassed, threatened, or stalked by another person. If you feel that your neighbor is violating the mediation agreement and is continuing to harass or threaten you, you may be able to file for a restraining order.

It's important to document any violations of the mediation agreement or any further incidents of harassment or threatening behavior from your neighbor. You may want to gather evidence such as emails, text messages, or voicemails that show your neighbor's behavior.

You can file for a restraining order at your local courthouse. It's recommended that you speak with an attorney or a legal aid organization to help you with the process.

If the judge determines that your neighbor's behavior constitutes harassment or threats, they may issue a restraining order to protect you. The restraining order can include provisions such as staying a certain distance away from you, refraining from contacting you, and not coming near your home or workplace.

I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck in resolving your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.