Hinesville, GA asked in Civil Litigation for Georgia

Q: How do I file a motion to request appointed counsel for a civil case ga

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael W. Horst
Michael W. Horst
  • Alpharetta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: There is no basis under Georgia law for a judge to appoint counsel in a civil case. It is true that in some criminal cases a judge will appoint an attorney to an accused, but that does not exist in the civil arena.

While a judge cannot appoint counsel in a civil case, that does not mean that all hope is lost. I suggest contacting the Atlanta Legal Aid Society or Georgia Legal Services Program. Those organizations provide free or low-cost civil legal assistance through a legal aid or pro bono program. Please check out georgialegalaid.org for more information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.