Warsaw, IN asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: My fiance is in jail in Fulton county Indiana on a level 3 Dealing in meth felony charge he's been in jail since July

2022 his court appointed lawyer has done nothing for him so he reported her to Indiana supreme court's he has no bond and does not want to go to jury trial his next court date is July 19 he has been asking his lawyer for rehab program we have paid for and gotten a acceptance letter for one but his lawyer won't assist him with nothing. What should we do now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron J. Harshman
Aaron J. Harshman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: I'm sorry to hear about your fiancé's situation.

First, do anything reasonable to establish communication with his current attorney so you can understand what work he is doing on the case. Many times, it is unclear what is happening on a case, and it is essential to establish communication if possible to understand what the attorney’s approach and reasoning is. I recommend making sure that some of your attempts to connect are done in writing.

Second, if you cannot establish good communication or trust in current counsel, you may want to consider contacting a local bar association or Lawyer Referral Service. They can provide you with contact information for attorneys in your area who specialize in criminal law. These attorneys may be able to offer guidance on your fiancé's situation and help you understand his legal options.

Your fiancé has the right to a fair trial and the assistance of counsel. If he feels that his attorney is not providing adequate representation, he may want to consider requesting a new court-appointed attorney or retaining a private attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.