Atlanta, GA asked in Probate for Georgia

Q: What can I do if the executor of the will has turned off my power, I have kids!! He hasn't probate yet. Idk what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Clifton
James Clifton
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Until the will is filed, there is no executor. If there is no will, the heir of the deceased will need to file for administration of the estate. If you are a tenant, the estate has the same responsibilities as a landlord and cannot wilfully disrupt your utilities. If you were responsible for paying utilities and you haven't, you will need to make arrangements to have the power service turned back on. If you were not a tenant and just living in the property with the permission of the deceased, you will be required to vacate as there is no obligation for the power to be continued. The deceased no longer owns the property, the heirs of the deceased do, and they have no obligation to allow you to live there any further. There are a lot of details that need to be worked out to determine your rights. Schedule a free consultation to figure out your path forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.