Phoenix, AZ asked in Traffic Tickets for Utah

Q: How do I find a traffic citation if an officer never gave me a physical ticket?

I was getting on I15 and got pulled over by an unmarked police truck. The officer took my id and ran it and then came back and said he was citing me for going 20 over. He shook my hand and said be careful merging back into traffic and gave me my id back. He never gave me a physical ticket or had me sign anything. I’m not sure if I was actually cited or not, how do I find my citation or ensure that there isn’t one?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: Usually you have to sign a citation with a promise to appear for it to be valid. Then you are given a copy. It sounds like you were not cited and were given a verbal warning. You could look for information from the Court website but if there is no citation number, you will have a very hard time to find any. Perhaps you should hire a traffic ticket attorney, I saw many billboards for them in Utah when there in March.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.