Waxhaw, NC asked in Construction Law for North Carolina

Q: The waste plumbing was improperly installed in our home from the builder. They did not prime the joints.

I had a professional inspection completed. The joints are popping apart and we have leaks throughout the crawl space. I was told a builder is responsible for improper installation for life. We have to replace all the waste plumbing in the home. Also have a concern this could be throughout the whole house. Our home was built in 1997. Are we able to have the builder be held responsible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paige Kurtz
Paige Kurtz
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: No. North Carolina has a 6 year statute of repose for faulty construction. That typically runs from when the certificate of occupancy was issued for the home. You would have to be both within the 3 year statute of limitation and the 6 year statute of repose to seek recovery from the builder. You are well past both.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.