Indianapolis, IN asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: I have a criminal record in texas but changing my name in Arkansas, can I safely use that court order in Texas?

I have a past criminal misdemeanor in Texas, I was born in Texas and seek to use a name change court order from Arkansas (my state of residence currently) to amend my birth certificate and change my name on all my identifying documents. I need to know if I can safely use the Arkansas court order or if I'll be breaking Texas law because Arkansas doesn't require or ask for past criminal records for a petition for a name change.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: I am NOT an Arkansas Lawyer.

However, I have practiced in many states and they all want your full past criminal history as part of your application for a name change. If that is so in Arkansas, then they will probably require you to notify where ever you got the Misdemeanor, as part of the process. The courts do not want people ( convicted ) to be able to change their names, as many states' criminal laws have enhancements in sentencing laws. Changing your name could help someone escape the law and its consequences. So most states require you to list all your prior convictions.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.