Staunton, IL asked in Employment Law for Illinois

Q: Can an employer terminate for not being able to work if you are under a doctor's care for a medical issue that you are b

I have recently been diagnosed and under continued medical by my doctor for a cyst on the base of my brain and bone infection behind my ears that has caused Vertigo, severe headaches and dizziness.

Due to these conditions my doctor has taken me of work .And I am also not allowed to drive under these conditions.

On Friday may 12th I received an email from my employer stating I was being terminated due to being unable to work because of my illness. I am currently waiting to see a Nuero Surgeon for further evaluation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas James Crawford
Nicholas James Crawford
  • Arlington Heights, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: In order to answer this question fully, additional information is needed. However, in general, individuals who can not work due to a medical condition have some protection under various state and federal laws. Those laws, however, do not provide protection forever and unlimited about of time. Depending on your employer size, the length of time you worked for the employer, and how long you have been unable to work, your employer may or may not be legally able to terminate your employment. You should reach out to speak directly with an employment attorney to fully address your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.