Zionsville, IN asked in Estate Planning for Ohio

Q: dad lives with his gf of 20 years. They are both on the house title. What happens when one of them passes away?

Dad bought house with gf they are both on the title. Gf paid mortgage and dad paid electric bills, maintenance, for updates like flooring. He has cancer, if he passes away who does the house go to. My dad wants us his 2 children to have his assets. What does he need to do to ensure that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Moshe Toron
Moshe Toron
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If the deed is held with rights of survivorship with his girlfriend, then his girlfriend will inherit the house if he dies first.

He needs to get an attorney to change the deed, while he is still alive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.