Port Huron, MI asked in Libel & Slander, Criminal Law, Communications Law and Domestic Violence for Michigan

Q: I’m looking for an attorney to help me stop harassment- threatening (position as a mother)-mental abuse- lies- defaming

I just filed a ppo and 3rd parties against my ex that we have 2 previous domestic violence but I dropped in 2010 bc the court didn’t do anything after he broke his ppo 4x and the 2nd I didn’t show from fear etc. I want to press charges against both my ex and his girlfriend and will show up this time. I want this to end. I was diagnosed with ptsd and want to heal and live on peace and until something is done it doesn’t seem I will. I have a lot of documents. I’d also like to reopen my 2021 domestic as it’s still relevant as my kids are being told I’m the abuser and I’m a lier etc by my abuser and his girlfriend. I’m also having rumors being spread about my to my fiancé that I’m cheating which isn’t true.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You should contact your county prosecutor's office. You should also contact the police concerning any new allegations. Whether the prosecutor will "reopen" the 2021 case is discretionary and will depend on how they feel they can prove that case. Whenever you don't show up, resulting in a dismissal, you create a situation where a defense attorney is going to raise motive against you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.