Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan Communications Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Communications Law for Michigan on
Q: my husband has a second phone, is there any way I can get the phone company to give me the record?

Everytime i got him to call, he says my wife is listening on speaker too.. so i don't think there going to disclose any info. If its a privacy law Is there a way around it?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Feb 3, 2021

What information are you seeking? If the phone is in his name, then he has access to his records. Instead of involving the phone company, why does he not just download them and give them to you, or give you online access to those records?

If he is unwilling to cooperate, then you should...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Communications Law for Michigan on
Q: Is a parent allowed to take a 15 year olds cell phone that the other parent purchased as form of punishment
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 18, 2019

Absent some court order to the contrary, while exercising parenting time, the parent may decide if and when the child has access to a cell phone.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Communications Law for Michigan on
Q: In Michigan, is it legal to record then publish phone conversation I am a party to without the consent of the other?

I purchased an item from a dealer who misrepresented the item and began lying about that misrepresentation the minute my check was cashed so I began recording conversations with them without their consent. I want to put these recordings in reviews online and give to the corporation/ brand of... Read more »

Trent Harris
Trent Harris answered on Aug 27, 2018

Your question raises a couple different issues, so I'll break it down in parts.

(1) Is it illegal to record the phone call?

No, probably not. A person can record a phone conversation in Michigan, if the person recording the call is a participant in the phone call and the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Law, Communications Law and Internet Law for Michigan on
Q: Freelance client is months behind payments and requiring digital account access prior to paying. What are my rights?

After six months trying to arrange a payment schedule as promised by client, the client requested more work prior to pay. I declined and offered a payment schedule. Point person misunderstood and responded by dissolving business relationship and demanding digital web/email account access... Read more »

Carrie A. Ward
Carrie A. Ward answered on Feb 28, 2018

Do you have a written contract with the client? If so, you should examine the terms of any default provisions. If you do not have a contract, it is a trickier situation and you probably have the right to terminate the contract without further liability to the client. However, you need to examine... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Constitutional Law and Mergers & Acquisitions for Michigan on
Q: is it illegal for a news company to distribute fake news? Is it illegal for private individuals to distribute fake news?
Glenn B. Manishin
Glenn B. Manishin answered on Feb 15, 2017

No and no. Individuals may have a right to sue and recover for libel/defamation however if named in and injured reputationally by fake new stories.

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law and Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: I sent a google doc to my brother. His wife, who he is in the process of divorcing and is physically seperated from,

him opened the document without his permission and deleted it. Do I have a case against her for deleting and reading my private document to him?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 28, 2016

I don't see it.If they both had access to the email and he never changed his password, it's not the US mail she interfered with.

The document itself is an electronic copy so it's not as if she destroyed something irreplacable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.