Lufkin, TX asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Texas

Q: I've been wrongfully acussed and charged on a felony in 2016 and in 2022 was arrested on a failure to appear on this

I've asked for court dates and videos for this and still haven't gotten anything and I was also told I was indicted asked for paperwork and still nothing but a plea bargain

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Patrick Clancy
Daniel Patrick Clancy pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The first question I have is, has the warrant for your failure to appear been resolved? Secondly, did the DA seek a second indictment for bail jumping?

Assuming your warrant has been resolved on the initial case, and assuming there is not an additional indictment pending for bail jumping, you should be back to square one on the original 2016 felony indictment. You need to get your case placed back on the court's docket, and file the appropriate motions requesting the discovery for which you are entitled.

If no plea bargain can be reached, I would next suggest that you request either a jury trial, or bench trial. I don't know enough about the allegations to suggest any further action. You need to discuss with a competent criminal defense attorney who can assist in answering specific questions, and if necessary, represent you in the matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.