Winder, GA asked in Civil Rights, Education Law and Family Law for Georgia

Q: What can I do? This is my son's future!!

My son has been on an IEP since 3rd grade. I have been his sole primary guardian most of his educatuonal life. He has and all been well aware that there is a certified copy of custody papers several in his files. How ever Mr. Robinson decided to violate GA Code 20-2-780 and allowed my sons father who has no rights to withdrawl my son and move him to a different school that was more advanced and had no knowledge of any of my sons needs.

I currently have an open civil case addressing his fathers contempt

The other school withdrew my son as well as soon as they say court order showing his father had no rrights and when tthey saw that his father could not enroll him resulting in my son to get discouraged and missinf a simester. John had requested to enroll so that he could take summer school to make up his missed classes so that he would be back on track to grad

Mcduffie county is refusing! They have violated several state and local policys.They are not allowing my son the educat

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Canton, OH

A: You are going to need to file for what is called a "Due Process" complaint against the district which is failing to provide free and appropriate public education to your child (FAPE). Due Process is a term of art within education law that is distinct from other uses of the term you may have heard (Like the Due Process clauses within the 5th and 14th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution. You should look for an attorney that practices education law near you as these facts are highly specific. At a minimum you ought to look to such resources as Wrightslaw, which is dedicated to helping parents of special education students advocate for their children. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.