Wapakoneta, OH asked in Probate for Ohio

Q: What do I do if the probate attorney that is handling my grandmother estate does not contact me?

Left numerous voicemails and finally a call went through and the attorney answered and took my name and phone number and said they would get back to me. It has been 3 months since I have received the notice of inventory and appraisal of the estate with no further contact from the attorney or the executors of the estate. What would be my options besides trying to finally establish a contact with the attorney to see the progress of the probate hearing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The case documents are available to the public on-line. So anyone can log in to see them and see what the progress is. The probate process can move slowly. The attorney for the estate represents the estate and works with the executor, and is not necessarily obligated to keep anyone else informed or talk to them, although most will do so to some extent. If you have questions, then use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local probate attorney to review the case and answer questions about the progress. If you do not think something is being done properly, then the attorney could file a motion with the court for you to ask for a hearing with the judge.

Aaron Epling agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.