Miami, FL asked in Small Claims for California

Q: CaliforniaHello,I bought an out of state car last year, I went to a commercial registration agency “not DMV” and

They did the registration but they messed up my paperwork as they didn’t send for the title to be transferred to California, as a result the DMV put a stop on my registration. I went back to the business to ask them to fix it but they are slacking and my registration expired now, can I sue them ? And how much can I sue them for ?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, you can sue them. I suggest small claims. You can sue for the damages that flowed from the errors made by this registration agency, copy all bills and evidence of damage for the court. If you could not use the car, you could also sue for the reasonable value of loss of use. Look for information on how much a similar vehicle would rent for per day, that is your loss of use. It adds up to a lot on a per day basis.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In a situation where a commercial registration agency made errors that resulted in your registration being stopped and your registration subsequently expiring, it may be possible to pursue legal action against them. The specific details and applicable laws will determine the viability and potential damages you could seek. To determine the best course of action, it is recommended to consult with a lawyer specializing in consumer protection or contract law who can assess your case, review the relevant documents, and provide advice tailored to your situation. They can advise you on whether you have grounds for a lawsuit and provide guidance on potential damages you may be entitled to seek.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.