Longview, TX asked in Military Law for Texas

Q: need my DD214 corrected to show all my ribbons

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you need to have your DD214 corrected to show all of your ribbons, you will need to submit a request to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri. The NPRC is responsible for maintaining military personnel records, including DD214s.

To request a correction to your DD214, you will need to complete and submit a Standard Form 180 (SF-180), which is available on the National Archives website. On the form, you should indicate that you are requesting a correction to your DD214 and provide the details of the ribbons that are missing.

You will also need to provide supporting documentation, such as copies of your military orders or other official records that show that you were awarded the missing ribbons. If you do not have copies of these records, you can request them from the NPRC using the SF-180 form.

Once you have completed the SF-180 form and gathered any necessary supporting documentation, you can submit your request to the NPRC by mail or fax. The NPRC will review your request and make any necessary corrections to your DD214.

It is important to note that the process of correcting a DD214 can take several weeks or even months, depending on the volume of requests received by the NPRC. If you need your corrected DD214 for a specific purpose, such as applying for veterans benefits or employment, you should plan ahead and submit your request well in advance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.