Chicago, IL asked in Adoption and Family Law for Illinois

Q: I am trying to adopt my girlfriends daughter, the father isn’t on the birth certificate and never met the daughter.

Father isn’t on the birth certificate and was given many chances to meet his daughter but has only met her once for 5 minutes since she was born he refuses to answer any texts or calls and No DNA test was done. Would we need his consent for the adoption or do we have to take him to court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You either need his written consent or serve him with your Petition for Adoption and give him a chance to appear in court. Don't try this without a lawyer! Adoption has a number of details that need to be handled exactly correctly. Acquiring a child in this manner should not be left to "I hope I did it right!" Something to be aware of: if you adopt the child you can be found liable for child support, regardless of whether you ever marry your girlfriend.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.