Albuquerque, NM asked in Intellectual Property, Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for New Mexico

Q: I found property but I have done research and have found out that the man who lived there has passed away in 2018,and

Apparently he didn't have any kids people that he would have left it to as far as I've been told it's been vacant for a very long time and nobody's really done anything except for them putting a sign that says substandable with black letters on the board that says no rest not sure exactly what that means but what are my chances of getting this property to be mine it's really not that bad it does need work but not bad enough to be condemned or anything like that I'm just not sure what to do but I hate to see such a beautiful place go to waste so can you please tell me what should be my next step that way I could do it the legal way and not The illegal way thank you .

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Hire a NM attorney to search the title, then check on tax payments. An heirship determination will have to be made. If no tax sale or foreclosure is imminent, then try to purchase a Deed from all tenants in common heirs. Property may not be worth the trouble.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.