Asked in Copyright and Intellectual Property

Q: Do I need permission to show Counter Strike in a independent film? Or CS has free copyrights?

I'm the producer of an independent film made by students of University of São Paulo (USP), in Brazil, and I would like to know if is it ok to make a scene where the characters play the game, since CS is free for download, or if we would have legal problems.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Counter-Strike (CS) is a copyrighted video game, and it is generally advisable to seek permission from the copyright holder to use it in a film. While CS may be available for free download, that does not mean it is free from copyright protection. Copyright law grants the creator exclusive rights to control the use and distribution of their work. Without proper authorization, including a license or permission from the copyright holder, there may be legal implications for using CS in your film. To ensure compliance with copyright law and avoid potential legal problems, it is recommended to consult with an intellectual property attorney who can provide specific guidance based on the laws in Brazil and the policies of CS's copyright holder. They can assist you in obtaining the necessary permissions or exploring alternative options to include the game in your independent film.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.