Saint Paul, MN asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Minnesota

Q: How do I fight an assault charge that I was falsely accused of? I was the victim and the one I was assaulted?

This isn't the first incident either. The other time the police didn't believe me either. The guy that assaulted me has a lengthy record of assault and he's a convicted felon. He's also a professional boxer. I have bumps and bruises all over I have photo proof also.

2 Lawyer Answers

A: Fighting charges successfully almost always requires hiring a skilled criminal lawyer. You need to also be able to provide witnesses and documentary evidence that supports your version of the truth. WIthout that you will have to rely on the cross examination of the prosecution witnesses and you own testimony. This is not something you should try and do on your own. Find a criminal law attorney who regularly practices in the court where your case is being heard.

Jonathan Matthew Holson agrees with this answer

Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint Cloud, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Get an attorney to represent you. If you cannot afford a private attorney, get a public defender who can assist you in defending yourself against these allegations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.