Minneapolis, MN asked in Immigration Law for Minnesota

Q: Trying to figure out a way to meet so we can apply for a k1 visa or to be together.

my girlfriend lives in the Philippines and I'm trying to figure out how we can meet. I've read that they will deny a B2 visa "to meet a boyfriend". what are our options? I can't get a passport so my going over there to meet her isn't possible... the plan was for her to apply for a B2 visa and during the interview tell them that we are using that visa to meet the requirements for a K1 visa and will apply for that after she returns to the Philippines a few months later, would that work? another option I was looking into was online marriage, but can't find any information on whether Utah's virtual ceremony would work for a C1 visa. so is that a viable option?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cedar Falls, IA

A: It would be best to have an immigration attorney assist you directly with this. Proxy marriages in Utah may work for this purpose.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.