Asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: NEB/ my child support case required a referree report, is it true a referee is only required for step parent/non custdia

ive never did a paternity test but i did sign the birth certificate & a AOP i had a child support case which was dismissed because my son is with me more then his mother & ive had insurance since he was born, a referree report was required, i had 14 days to come back to court which i was unaware of & the court had order adopting a referree report & recommendation, i read online a referree report is only required for non custodial step parents.. does this mean im not the biological father? does this mean i dont have any parental rights? any help would be greatly appricated.

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The Child Support Referee is a type of judge that primarily handles child support cases. One way to think about it is to think that the child support referee is under the supervision of the district court judges. There are so many child support cases and it helps to have a specialized judge to handle the caseload. Many counties have a child support referee issue a report. The district court judge then technically signs the Order that is based off the child support referee's report. Thus, a case that goes in front of a child support referee does result in an order from the district court judge. The child support referee handles all sorts of cases related to child support. Any info that you read that says they are limited to non-custodial step-parents is not correct, at least not in Nebraska.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.