Alpena, MI asked in Criminal Law and Legal Malpractice for Michigan

Q: What do I do when my lawyer violates attorney-client privilege and lies to the Michigan Attorney Grievance Commission?

The Michigan State Police and the Michigan Attorney Grievance Commission are investigating Michelle Elowski's legal practices. I have an open court case against her for conning me out of $25,000. The judge told her to work with me so she got an attorney and the both of them disappeared.

If you do a little research into Alpena Courts there is enough crazy going on to keep three law students and a bus full of social researchers busy for years.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: If an attorney has violated your attorney-client privilege and disclosed your confidential communications with the attorney to a third party, you should hire an attorney who practices in the area of legal malpractice to sue the attorney for any legally compensable damages you have sustained as a result of the disclosure; or, in the alternative if you have not sustained any legally compensable damages, you should hire an attorney who practices in the area of legal ethics to file a grievance against the lawyer who disclosed your privileged communications.

If the lawyer lies to the grievance, you should be prepared to present admissible evidence proving that the lawyer is lying about a material fact or, at the very least, admissible evidence which is persuasive that the lawyer is not telling the truth about that material fact.

If the lawyer has disappeared, that solves your problem about her lying. You can present your evidence to the commission without it hearing her side of the story at all.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.