Bayonne, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: Can u avoid deportation from U.S. if u have clean record, no problem ,paying taxes with green card ?

Hello, I have had a green card since 2015 through my parent's immigrant classification as a child of an alien. My parent obtained residency through my uncle, who is a citizen. However, my parent never entered the country for financial circumstances. I have been living here in the United States without any issues since then, only leaving the country for short holidays every summer and returning promptly. In January, I applied for US citizenship, and I had the interview last April, which I successfully passed. However, the officer informed me that he couldn't make a decision because I probably should have entered the country with my parent. A week ago, I received a denial notice for naturalization, explaining that I should have entered the country with my parent,my parent never entered.

The notice states that if I believe I can overcome the grounds for this denial, I may submit a request for a hearing on Form N-336."

what should I do ? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: You should consult with an immigration attorney who would have to review the denial to determine if USCIS is legally incorrect in their reasoning; you only have 30 days (33 days if mailed) from the date of the denial to file the N-336.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.