Asked in Divorce and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: How do I file a motion we're my ex wife is not doing what the judge ordered in Marital property without a attorney

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: To seek to enforce the provisions of a prior court order, you must file a Rule to Show Cause. The requirements for a Rule to Show Cause are laid out in South Carolina Family Court Rule 14.

The South Carolina Supreme Court does not provide sample forms for enforcing orders related to marital property. Additionally, most Rules to Show Cause are very dependent on the facts of the case so it is unlikely any online template would be useful.

Though you have said you would like to proceed without a lawyer, because a Rule to Show Cause has such specific pleading and evidentiary requirements, it is best to hire a lawyer. If you are able to successfully enforce the prior Order against the opposing party, then the Court can require them to reimburse your attorney's fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.