Phoenix, AZ asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: I just found out that I have a misdemeanor bench warrant in another state from 2009. Process for getting that quashed?

I just found out that I have a misdemeanor bench warrant in Idaho for failure to appear. I have a new job that ran my background and found it. I need to resolve this, ASAP so I can start my job. In 2009, I had a misdemeanor DUI ( first offense ). I did community service and paid a small fine. During this time my Mom became ill and I forgot to take my alcohol class. I moved to take care of her and didn’t know I had a court date about taking the class. I’ve had background checks run before and this has never come up because it was so long ago, I even obtained a fingerprint clearance card. This employer found it and told me about it. What is the best way to get this quashed and dealt with? I live far away from there now and can’t go turn myself in.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dwane Cates
Dwane Cates pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Your best bet is to hire a lawyer in the same area as the court. Sometimes they can file a motion to get the warrant Quashed and get you some time to complete the classes. Sometimes the judge makes you appear. If there is a bond on the warrant you can pay the bond and ask to have a telephonic hearing with the judge. It is hard to do this on your own.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.