Dallas, TX asked in Small Claims for Texas

Q: What legal action can I take against an individual who owes a debt to me?

My ex sold my truck while I was incarcerated and forged my name on the title to do so. She is judgement proof so taking this to small claims would be pointless. What legal action can I take to collect the debt owed to me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II

A: Judgments can be good for 20 years and you earn a good rate of interest on them. You should go to small claims to get a judgment against her for "conversion" of your personal property to her private use (selling for money). This is a wrongful interference with your ownership rights. You may not want to use small claims but that is where you have to go. Using "self help" rather than resorting to the law is just asking for trouble. Thanks for using Justia, Ask an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.